I suggest you ...

Support http authentication

Provide some way to indicate the required authentication (if any) for any given call. We use a combination of user credentials and api keys for our http basic auth, and would really like to see some way to support http authentication as part of the documentation and mockups. Also for Oauth scenarios perhaps?

248 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Fridthjof-G EriksenFridthjof-G Eriksen shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

30 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • LonnieLonnie commented  · 

I join the tomato-throwing angry mob: an ability to pass headers and to support authentication should have been in the 0.0.1 release and it certainly should not have taken years to provide something crude.

The lack of a workaround here puts a bullet right through the heart of this attractive-looking service.

• BrettBrett commented  · 

What a joke, over 3 years with no basic HTTP authentication support being added. Glad I haven't spent too much time setting up the API here, time to find an alternative that isn't incompetent.

• MattMatt commented  · 

Why is this taking so long!? This is a very basic request and is essential.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Any news? Just started using Apiary, but it is question #1((

• MattMatt commented  · 

Lukas, we need authentication for the blueprint and console/mock server.

This is essential - I don't understand why it hasn't been done yet. Especially since you've been working on it for over 2 YEARS!!!!

• Lukas LinhartAdminLukas Linhart (Admin, apiary.io) commented  · 

Unfortunately not yet, as we want to finish MSON first.

As said before, OAuth2 is available in closed beta for console, but we are not ready in blueprint yet.

Matt, may I ask you what your use-case is? Is your primary concern to be able to describe the authentication in blueprint or to have the support in console and mock server?

Thank You,

Lukas

• MattMatt commented  · 

How has this not been done yet? I don't understand how anyone can use your system without authentication functionality.

Hi George,

yes, I've definitely learned something about public promises.

There is no in-product update yet. We are testing OAuth2 support for console; my hope is that deriving http auth from that is going to be easy, but I can't really provide a deadline yet.

— Lukas

• George StrogoffGeorge Strogoff commented  · 

Any update on this? It's been almost a year since you said it would be ready in "2-3 weeks"

There is no excuse for the fact that we haven't delivered yet and we are taking the responsibility.

I don't think there is much I can add here except "we shipped" once it happens.

• Anonymous commented  · 

since 2012 still no support for HTTP basic auth.. Now what is the excuse..

Horse is not dead, but I fully accept the responsibility for being so late with this one.

Unfortunately, during testing, we discovered that the format didn't played well with the other proposed changes.

We iterated to the unified solution that will solve this as well as a lot of other issues: https://github.com/apiaryio/api-blueprint/issues/47 , unfortunately it is still not released yet.

I fully understand your frustrations and cannot really offer anything else than doubling my efforts.

I'll let you guys know once I have something. I'd hate to make other empty promises here.

• neilneil commented  · 

Hey, month are gone and still no support for HTTP BASIC Auth?
        Time to look for alternatives, I guess....

• shanavershanaver commented  · 

I hate to beat a dead horse, but without this we really can't build a full mock API service as we need to authenticate on most calls. Any update on it would be muchly appreciated. Thanks!

• Vanessa RamirezVanessa Ramirez commented  · 

Hi Lukas,

Do you have an estimate on when this feature will be released?

Vanessa

Neil,

actually, there is, but it's not visible yet. We've iterated over several designs and I hope we'll get it final soon.

Sorry to let you waiting,

Lukas

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base