I suggest you ...

allow exporting formatted document to pdf, doc, rtf, et al.

Having online documentation is great for developers to work with each other but it would also be good to be able to export the document to include in other system documentation or to be able to email it to 3rd parties.

504 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Matt PichetteMatt Pichette shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    started  ·  Jakub KorálJakub Korál responded  · 

Apiary now has a print stylesheet for the generated Docs.

It uses numbering + table of contents and displays the examples with language you have selected in the language-dropdown.

The preferred way of sharing the documentation with 3rd-parties is through People settings (add viewers). However printing now looks great.

Feel free to comment.

21 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Greg RollGreg Roll commented  · 

From you last comment, does this mean the new 3 column format is not yet supported?.. Any estimates on when it would be?

• Greg RollGreg Roll commented  · 

This would be a huge boost to the usability of this product... +1 for having this support ASAP (even if only latest version)

• Jan MoravecJan Moravec commented  · 

@Nic: The situation is we have designs ready, waiting to be implemented, might get to pipeline once we drop support for old version of documentation. — Month or two. I'm sorry I can't provide you with some better news.

• Nic StrongNic Strong commented  · 

Been in the works for over a year now, any plans for this?

• SantiagoSantiago commented  · 

This is Critical. API Design and specification should be put under Source Control, with Versions and all that stuff.

• symontysymonty commented  · 

Printing would be grand

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

I don't understand how to print at all? Do I need licensed account?

• Lukas LinhartAdminLukas Linhart (Admin, apiary.io) commented  · 

Hi Shailesh,

we are working on it—and also figuring out what should we put into the print version.

Would you share with us what are you missing in the current print version?

Thank You,

Lukas

• ShaileshShailesh commented  · 

We have been using apiary for some time now and have been very happy with it. Some of our customers need to access this documentation in offline mode. We desperately need a way to print it to html/pdf. Printing the webpage doesn't print all the details. Is there any work around?

• Dean SheppardDean Sheppard commented  · 

Phenomenal application guys, this is a great utility and I can no longer design my API's without it. However, having the ability to export into a document (PDF) is a requirement for sure.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Any plan to have Export to File option

• Rick KoloskiRick Koloski commented  · 

Sadly, unless I am missing a way to include the documentation in other formats via PDF, formatted HTML, RTF, I cannot use it except for development teams. What a shame.

The ecosystem of interested parties for APIs now includes audiences that will not accept online-only formats and those are precisely the audiences that will care about polish.

Please advise if I am missing a feature added, or send an email if/when this limitation is addressed. The tool is a great start and great concept though. It will be a shame if excluding executive decision makers and senior influencers causes adoption issues.

• Justin WhiteheadJustin Whitehead commented  · 

Just created an account to try Apiary out. First thing, yes, first thing I am looking for is ability to export to a PDF. Didn't see any native export functionality. Reiterating some prior comments in the thread. The people that I need to collaborate over an API design with might like this tool for collaboration. But when it comes to formal record keeping, etc... everyone wants a PDF.

The print layout honestly doesn't feel as well polished as the web layout.

• Lukas LinhartAdminLukas Linhart (Admin, apiary.io) commented  · 

Hi,

we are aware of those shortcomings and working on those.

Justin, the new, 3column documentation is actually still in beta, so the minimal stylesheets were attached just last week and we are designing the better docs as we speak. The non-beta version provides all the information you need for printing.

The plan is to provide really beautiful print docs — after the new documentation is ready to be the default one.

However, I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised once it graduate from its beta status.

Regards,

Lukas

• Justin DeMarisJustin DeMaris commented  · 

This is a huge problem and really the difference between us using Apiary going forward or not. The service is awesome, but if I have to maintain a separate PDF with another service or manually it wastes all of the time we put into the Apiary version. Also, the "print" version doesn't actually include all of the examples for us, so it's just the text summary from the middle column and not really useful for anybody to work against.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

Ok - here we are in 2014 - great service but properly formatted (i.e. looking the same as on the web) pdf or other exports are still missing. As a business tool, there is a huge need to be able to give offline overview and documentation to clients.

• JanoJano commented  · 

Printing is critical for me, HTML/PDF/RTF would be great. Corporate clients don't like having to visit a remote server to see a rendered version of the documentation.

• Adrian RudnikAdrian Rudnik commented  · 

Same here, at least a good CSS for with print projector settings would be nice :)

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base