I suggest you ...

Allow multiple HOST servers (staging, QA, prod, etc)

Currently one can define a single HOST endpoint that will be displayed in the right-hand column when viewing an API. It would be great if we could create multiple HOST definitions for different environments and name them descriptively.

93 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    RossRoss shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  Lukas LinhartLukas Linhart responded  · 

We are not sure if multiple HOST headers are the right solution, but we definitely want to provide a way to use Apiary against staging environments.

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • NicolasNicolas commented  · 

Hi guys, this is REALLY needed if you want to get adoption of your product. Please give priority :).

Answering your question:

"Are you guys really interested specifying endpoints in the Blueprint or would it be something you'd rather specify it in the Apiary App?"

I think it should be part of the app settings. It will be more simple than changing blueprint spec and makes a lot of sense...

Regards,
        Nicolas.

• Greg RollGreg Roll commented  · 

Following the others I'm wondering if there is an update to this?.. We really require ability for our developers to be able to target either production or test environments... Can you let us know if there is a planned date for some solution.. been open too long and can't keep waiting just for 'planned' items that never seem to get resolved.

• JamieJamie commented  · 

Pushing for this... any update?

• Emmanuel ParaskakisEmmanuel Paraskakis commented  · 

We're looking at this currently and wanted to ask: Are you guys really interested specifying endpoints in the Blueprint or would it be something you'd rather specify it in the Apiary App? That way Blueprints stay independent of an implementation. I'd love to know your thoughts.

• Greg RollGreg Roll commented  · 

I also would like to see the ability to define different hosts. For example, I want to define a specific url for testing that is different then prod.
        ie:
        TEST: https://test.api.foo.com
        PROD: https://api.foo.com

Would also be nice to have the abilty to say whether or not TEST, PROD or both show up.. I might want only TEST.. .only PROD, or both.

• Diwa del MundoDiwa del Mundo commented  · 

Hi, any news on this? We also need a way to customize the HOST servers (Sandbox, Production). We're using Teams Premium account.

• Lukas LinhartAdminLukas Linhart (Admin, apiary.io) commented  · 

Hi Alex,

unfortunately not yet as we've focused on the payload reusability with the release of MSON.

We'll let you know.

Regards,

Lukas

• Alex RaileanuAlex Raileanu commented  · 

Hi Lukas,

Are there any updates on this?

Thanks,
        Alex

• Lukas LinhartAdminLukas Linhart (Admin, apiary.io) commented  · 

Hi Matt,

there is currently no such way, but we are aware of the issue from our own experience ;)

We are thinking about how to solve this in an elegant way, probably using one of the "generic" features that are on the way. Stay tuned!

Regards,

Lukas

• Matt VasalloMatt Vasallo commented  · 

Apiary Team,

Currently the HOST is a proxy for the entire API and I'm wondering if there's consideration for being able to proxy only specific requests. As we build our system up, we're hoping to mock some of the rest calls and incrementally proxy the ones to the real backend. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this type of capability.
        Thanks!

• Sundar RajagopalanSundar Rajagopalan commented  · 

We ideally would want to allow our customers to test against staging so that they feel comfortable with the desired functionality before they move to production. At this time we only have staging & production, but may introduce a beta at some point in the future.

As a starting point just being able to mention 2 different HOSTS with different tags (Staging/production) which would allow a end user to test API's against these environments would be a great plus!

• simo sentissisimo sentissi commented  · 

This will be very welcomed feature since QA and Devs can test/diff on different endpoints.

• RossRoss commented  · 

Thanks for the comments, guys. My immediate use would be to document our different environments for internal users of the API ("pre-production", "beta-testing", etc). Since we are new users to Apiary, we have not extensively used the mock server feature yet, though I see the value. I'm not sure we would use Apiary's proxy for development purposes as our staging servers are not publicly accessible.

It sounds like you correct in saying that adding multiple HOST headers may not be the solution for this case, in order to support multiple versions of an API. This is not an immediate concern but I could see this being an issue if we were to use Apiary more heavily.

I'll leave development of the best solution to you - perhaps some way of describing and linking similar API versions/instances ("development", "pre-prod", "prod", etc)?

• Jakub NesetrilAdminJakub Nesetril (CEO, apiary.io) commented  · 

Ross - are you thinking along the lines of "production host", "pre-production", "beta-testing" etc?

We use the host name for more purposes then just the right-hand-column: if you turn on proxy mode, we proxy the HTTP traffic going to our mock server to your real API and in the future we will help be able to run automated tests against your server. Having multiple HOST headers would create an ambiguity where the proxy traffic should be going.

However if what you're thinking about is "production/preproduction/beta" then this is something that we'd like to find a solution for. Also - these deployments can have different versions of code deployed to them (and thus different versions of documentation). Would that be your usecase?

Thank you,

Jakub

Feedback and Knowledge Base